Friday, November 13, 2009

Sweet Spicy Sticky Chicken

We eat a lot of chicken in our house.  As I have mentioned before, we don't eat beef or pork, which narrows the variety of protein choices a bit.  So, I am always looking for different ways to cook chicken. While browsing on the Pioneer Woman Cooks blog the other day, I found this recipe, and it looked so yummy, I knew I had to make it.  It is all she raves about and more.  Mine didn't seem to darken up as much as hers, but the flavour was awesome.  The boys had the sauce drizzled on their rice, and their roasted cauliflower and broccoli.  I think they were going for the straws to suck up what was left in the pan.  My guess is they liked it….

Sticky Sweet Spicy Chicken

1 Cup Apricot Preserves
1/2 Cup Ketchup (I used the spicy ketchup that has been lingering forever in my fridge, and omitted the hot sauce)
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons Hot Pepper Sauce
8-12 chicken pieces, bone-in (thighs, drumsticks, your choice, I used 4 of each)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a small saucepan, mix together apricot preserves, ketchup, soy sauce, garlic and hot pepper sauce. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, till combined and bubbly.


Arrange chicken pieces in a 13 x 9 baking pan. Don't over crowd the dish or it will steam more than bake.  Use a bigger pan if necessary. 


  
Pour sauce over chicken, making sure to cover all pieces thoroughly.
 
Bake, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes, basting 3 or 4 times during cooking time with accumulated pan sauces.

(If you compare our recipes, I cooked min a wee bit hotter, as I was roasting the broccoli and cauliflower at the same time.  The increased temp and time was fine with the thighs, if you are using all drumsticks, you may need to decrease the time a bit)




No comments:

Post a Comment