Sunday, November 15, 2009

Eggs Poached in Tomatoes

I spend a lot of time reading food blogs; (no, really, like A LOT!) I think know it has become my latest obsession.  Having a new obsession connect so closely with another obsession (cooking) is both a good thing, and a very bad thing.  On the good side, discovering these food blogs has opened up a whole new world of yummy recipes for me to feed my loved ones with, and it inspired this blog of my own. So far, win-win, right?  On the bad side though, I find myself looking for a recipe that I read somewhere, and end up, hours later, with a whole new list of recipes that I want to try, while I click from blog to blog, eventually forgetting what I was looking for in the first place.  Whole afternoons have been lost while reading posts for things like pear and chocolate cakes, ginger chocolate banana bread, key lime coconut cake, or Dutch baby pancakes. (can you see new blog posts here? I can!)  I end up STARVING by the end of it all, realize I have no time left to cook what I originally set out to find, and end up in need of something quick.  I have a few quick meals that I fall back on, and a lot of them seem to include eggs, because they cook so very quickly, and they are pretty darn tasty with not a lot of fuss.  I will have to do a post on my omelet/frittata thing, but I think it needs a much better name first!  When browsing one afternoon, I found this particular recipe, and I was pretty sure it would become a contender in the “I want something tasty but I need to eat RIGHT NOW” category.   I made it for Jim on a Saturday morning when the boys were both out (it is not really their kind of breakfast) and I was hooked.  I could eat this every day (well, maybe not EVERY day, but you get the point; it is that good). It doesn't get any better than that. My inspiration recipe came from Smitten Kitchen, and had some sautéed greens on the side, which, alas, I had none of at the time.  Feel free to add them if you like, I am sure they would make a very tasty addition.


Eggs Poached In Tomatoes

1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (or use a can of whole ones, and dice them yourself, me—I almost always buy diced!)
1 onion
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
A pinch of hot pepper flakes (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
4 eggs
2 pieces of bread, pick your favourite kind, (something with some substance is best, like a yummy sourdough, or multi-grain loaf.  You will want one that won't turn to mush under the tomato egg mixture)

Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a medium saucepan. Thinly slice the onion, and chop the garlic, and add to the heated oil. Sauté until just starting to soften and brown a wee bit.  Add the tomatoes along with their juices, the pinch of hot pepper flakes (if using), and season with salt and pepper.   Heat to boiling, stirring often.


Break eggs one at a time into a small bowl, and add them to the bubbling tomato mixture. (If you are a pro- egg cracker, you can crack them right into the tomatoes without using a small bowl, a pro I am not!)



Repeat with remaining eggs, spacing them evenly around the pot.



Turn temperature to medium low, and cover the pot. 


Toast your bread; place in a shallow bowl type plate like a pasta plate.





Let the eggs simmer until the yolks are how you like them; ours cooked for 4-5 minutes tops. I prefer the yolks to be just on the thick side of runny.



Using a large spoon or ladle scoop a generous portion of tomatoes out of the pot along with eggs, and place on your toast. Another grind of fresh black pepper, and bon appétit! Simple, delicious and nourishing, all within about 15 minutes. 
Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment