Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Quick Tomato Sauce


I usually have a lot of time to cook.  It is not unusual for me to spend an entire afternoon (or whole day) cooking.  There isn't a whole lot that I enjoy more.  Some music in the background, my fridge and pantry full of ingredients, my kitchen is definitely my happy place. (Add a glass of wine and it is absolute nirvana!) Sometimes though, I need a quick meal, on the table in a hurry.  But, being in a hurry doesn't always mean sacrificing flavor or resorting to pre- made meals.  In just a wee bit more time than it takes to boil up a bag of frozen ravioli, you can make a pretty darn good tomato sauce, from just a few simple ingredients.  Now, where was that glass of wine….

Quick Tomato Sauce:

2 small onions, halved and sliced very thin
3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 28oz can diced tomatoes with liquid
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in pan on medium high.  Add onion and garlic, and sauté until softened and starting to brown.  Add the can of diced tomatoes, bring to a boil.


Reduce heat and simmer until it thickens, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

Serve over your favourite pasta.
Top with your choice of grated cheese.  The Marble cheddar is Isaacs favourite, and he wanted me to point out that it is his hand in the picture below, just visible under the bowl of cheese!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment