Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Loaf


In my veggie box again this week, Shawn, my veggie guy, added blueberries.  I actually had a hankering for muffins, but stumbled across this recipe for a blueberry loaf/cake type thing that hooked me at first read.  I had everything the recipe called for, and, believe it or not, I DID NOT TINKER WITH IT AT ALL!  Not even one little bit.  Weird, I know, but sometimes I surprise even myself!  It whipped up quickly, and the smell in my kitchen was amazing while it baked.  If you follow the link, Smitten Kitchen gives all kinds of variations you could try.  I am kinda stuck on this one at the moment, but will definite keep it in the repertoire.  The loaf itself is very moist, and as she suggests in the original recipe, needs to be cut very carefully. Try and allow it to cool completely before attempting to slice.  One suggestion she gives that would be divine is doubling the recipe and baking in a Bundt pan.  Maybe with a lemon icing sugar glaze…time for another slice!


Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Loaf (Or, as Smitten kitchen calls it, Lemon Yogurt anything Cake)

1 ½ cups all purpose Flour plus 1 tbsp extra to toss blueberries in
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup white sugar, plus 1 extra teaspoon for lemon drizzle
3 XL eggs
2 tsp lemon zest (I only needed one, hers suggested 2)
½ tsp vanilla
½ cup vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen, thawed and rinsed (miniature wild blueberries are great for this, and pose the least risk of sinking) (I used fresh)
1/3 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, and then prepare your pan.  Grease a large loaf pan, Mine measures about 8 ½ x 4 ½ x 2 ½ inches.  After you grease it, line the bottom of it with parchment, grease the parchment, and then flour the pan.  Set aside.


Whisk together 1 ½ cups flour, the baking powder and the salt, set aside.



In a separate bowl, mix together the yogurt, sugar eggs, zest, vanilla and oil until well blended. 


Slowly add the dry ingredients, stirring till just mixed. 


Toss the blueberries with the remaining 1 tbsp flour, then CAREFULLY fold the berries into the batter, being careful not to over mix.


Pour batter into prepared pan.


Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes (mine took closer to 70) or until cake tester inserted in middle comes out clean.


While loaf is baking, combine lemon juice and remaining tbsp sugar in a small pot.  Cook until the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and set aside.




Remove from oven and let rest in pan for 10 minutes. 

Turn out onto a cooling rack, and baste with lemon juice sugar mixture while the loaf is still warm.


Allow to cool before slicing, and don't forget to remove the parchment from the bottom of the loaf.










This is what my kitchen looks like during my baking episodes!


No comments:

Post a Comment