Friday, November 13, 2009

Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower


I am a big fan of roasting veggies.  I used to stick to root type veggies, like sweet potatoes, onions, parsnips, potatoes, onions etc.  I branched out to Brussels sprouts a few years ago, and immediately fell in love all over again with the wee little cabbage guys. Asparagus followed shortly thereafter, and was added to the yum list. I think it was last year that I read somewhere about roasting cauliflower, which, of course, I tried right away.  Wow! Once you have had it roasted, you will never settle for steamed again! It gives it a nutty sweetness that is downright addictive.  So, adding broccoli, it had to be done.  I am hooked.  I think I could eat a whole pan of roasted cauliflower and broccoli myself, it is better than candy (notice I did not say chocolate…)  It is so simple, and looks beautiful, with all those roasty brown tips….OK, now I am getting hungry again!


Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower
1 large head broccoli
1 medium head cauliflower
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut apart broccoli and cauliflower, and evenly distribute flowerets on large pan with an edge, like a jelly roll pan, or even a large roasting pan.


Lightly drizzle with olive oil, I probably use 3-4 tbsp max, then sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper.  My salt of choice is coarse sea salt, use whichever is your favourite. Use hands to mix in oil, S&P, to evenly distribute.


Roast in hot oven for 35-45 minutes, until the edges start to turn a nice dark brown colour.  Be sure to stir a few times during the cooking time.

Great accompaniment to Sticky Sweet Spicy Chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment