Thursday, January 7, 2010

If it Ain't Broke....

Sometimes you should just stick with what you know.  Especially if it is your tried and true chocolate chip cookie recipe,

which comes out perfect, every time, pretty much without fail.  It is THE most requested cookie in our house, and for a good reason.  It is one good... no... GREAT... cookie. End of story.  So I have no idea what possessed me to try another chocolate chip cookie recipe.  Maybe it was that the recipe was so similar to my tried and true one or the lure of the fancy cookbook from a trendy New York bakery that swayed me to stray. The boys even tried to talk me out of it. Mac said, and I quote, “if it ain’t broke, Mom, don't fix it!”  But, for some unknown reason, I convinced them that maybe it was time to try something new, the ingredients were close to the ones in my recipe, the technique, though, was a wee bit different, and one I had read about recently.  It has you leaving the mixed dough to sit in the fridge, for at least 6 hours to chill. Apparently this takes chocolate chip cookies to a whole new level.  Whatever it was that possessed me, I should have listened to that little inner voice, telling me not to do it.  (I actually even felt guilty, like I was cheating on Betty Crocker...weird, huh?) But, I forged ahead, and made the dough, refrigerated overnight, and proceeded to make a batch to take into work with me that morning.  So excited I was, as I put the first pan in the oven, turned it halfway thru the baking time, smelling that one of a kind baking chocolate chip cookie smell,  only to be so sadly disappointed by the paper thin greasy cookie like things that came out of the oven.   

Sometimes things just don't work out.  No matter what you do.  I always say that things happen for a reason, and maybe this happened to make me appreciate my Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookie recipe that much more.  If you want a good cookie, stick to this recipe.  It will never steer you wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment