Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie



This morning, my wonderful teenage son presented me with a smallish piece of paper, and said two words to me, with a grin on his face.  The words were “Chocolate Chip”, and the piece of paper was “Bunny Munny”.   (Bunny Munny, I should explain, is something I started with my boys probably 5 years ago, at Easter.  Instead of filling all those plastic eggs with loads of candy, I started filling some with Bunny Munny “coupons” for use during the rest of the year.  Their favourites seem to be the ones that they can redeem for some kind of food. (Second runner up is the “get out of chore free” one, or the one to have their room cleaned by me—I still wonder at my wisdom in including those ones….)  Anyway, Mac presented me with his Bunny Munny for “a batch of cookies, flavour of his choice”, which was chocolate chip, not really a big surprise.  Chocolate chip cookies are a favourite in this house, and surprisingly, the recipe is the same every time I make it.  I haven’t even deviated from the original recipe that came out of the Betty Crocker cook book that was a wedding present 16 years ago.  That, for me, is just shy of amazing, being the recipe tweaker that I am.  The recipe does call for nuts, which I omit, being a chocolate chip cookie purist! I use my stand mixer, and always butter, never margarine.  That is personal choice, but I do believe it makes a difference, as it does with most baking. I also use the “Presidents Choice Decadent Chocolate Chips”, personal preference again, they are the best!

Chocolate Chip Cookies From The Betty Crocker Cookbook, 7th Edition
 
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 egg
2 ¼ cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
12 oz semisweet chocolate chips


Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Mix sugars, butter and egg. (I use my stand mixer, and cream very well, 3-4 minutes at least on medium speed!) Stir in flour, baking soda and salt, dough will be stiff. (If using stand mixer, mix till just starting to hold together in larger crumbs)  Mix in chocolate chips and nuts if using. (If using stand mixer, mix these in by hand, this will finish incorporating the dough as well)

Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2” apart on ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake for 8-10 minutes or until light brown. Centers will be soft.

Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet. Enjoy! (be sure to let them hang out on the cookie sheets for a minute or two to firm up, or they will fall through the cooling rack...trust me!)


No comments:

Post a Comment