Monday, October 19, 2009

Roasted Brussel Sprouts


I think fall is my favourite time of year for vegetables. So many to choose from, so little time! My veggie man Shawn put a charming little bag of Brussel sprouts in my box this week, which in turn inspired one of our favourite simple dinners. Rotisserie Chicken with baked red potatoes, steamed green beans, and, the best part…roasted brussel sprouts. For the last few years, I have been roasting almost every kind of vegetable I can get my hands on. Roasting brings out entirely new flavours in so many veggies, and brussel sprouts are one of my favourites. I have always been a fan of these mini green cabbages; this just made me fall in love with them all over again. Feel free to experiment with different cheese, and different nuts, depending on what you have on hand. Some of my favourite things have come about because I ran out of one thing, and substituted another. Cooking is a creative process, have fun and explore!


Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Romano and Pine Nuts

2lbs brussel sprouts, trimmed of outer leaves and cut in half
3-4 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup grated Romano cheese
3-4 tbsp pine nuts

Once the sprouts are trimmed and cut, place in oven safe pan, and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Roast in 375 degree f oven for approx 30-40 minutes, or until they are browning and starting to soften, stirring about ½ way thru.
While sprouts are roasting, toast pine nuts in a small pan, till aromatic and starting to brown. Set aside.

When sprouts are finished, remove from oven, and toss with Romano and pine nuts.

Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment