Saturday, March 20, 2010

Isaac's Buttermilk Toaster Waffles


My boys have always loved breakfast food. Eggs, French toast, pancakes, waffles, they could eat these kind of foods till the cows come home. Then they would probably ask for seconds. So, when I was lucky enough to have a day off during march break, and I asked Isaac what he would like for breakfast, it was no big surprise that waffles were on the top of the list. This is the point when I should probably mention that he is hopelessly addicted to, ugh, frozen toaster waffles, from the grocery store. I know, it is sad. But, in my quest to convert him from a processed junk food loving kid to one who appreciates home cooked healthy food, I have stopped buying them. So, his help was recruited, and healthier waffles we would make.


I dug out my trusty waffle iron (and dusted it off...I haven’t made waffles in a while apparently!) and we proceeded to look for a recipe. I remembered this one from Orangette, but the shortbread part kind of threw him off (I will make these one day, but maybe for dessert, with some ice cream, and strawberries...swoon!!) Smitten kitchen was our next stop, and he was sold as soon as he read “ buttermilk”. (that word appears on his grocery store box too...) He mixed together the buttermilk, separated the eggs, and whipped the egg whites. I think I have a new kitchen apprentice in the making!

I doubled the recipe(the recipe below is not doubled) and froze the extras once they cooled, with wax paper between them in the freezer for easy removal, and....TA DA!! Homemade freezer waffles that I don’t mind him eating. Maybe I should have dusted off the waffle iron long ago!

Isaac’s Buttermilk Toaster Waffles (original recipe here)

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup unbleached white flour (original recipe used all white, feel free!)

1/2 tsp salt

2 Tbsp sugar

1 1/2 Tsp baking soda

1 3/4 cups buttermilk(I use buttermilk powder mixed with water)

2 eggs, separated

4 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled slightly

1/2 Tsp vanilla extract

neutral flavoured oil for brushing on waffle pan (I use grapeseed, but canola, or the spray cans work fine too)




Mix the dry ingredients together in a nice big bowl. Set aside.


In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk and egg yolks. Mix in the butter and vanilla. Set aside.


Lightly grease your waffle iron (I used my silicone basting brush and some grape seed oil, you can use canola
oil, or pam) and plug in to preheat.


Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.


In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites with an electric mixer until they will hold soft peaks.

They should look like this:


Fold them gently into the batter.


When waffle iron is preheated, ladle the batter onto the hot surface,


close and cook until the waffle is done, mine is usually about 4 minutes, different waffle irons will vary with their timing.


My first waffles always look a bit wonky til I figure out how much batter to use to fill the iron without overflowing it...

Serve while hot,


or cool to room temperature on cooling racks and store in freezer between sheets of waxed paper for easy toaster waffles.



Oh, so yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment