Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Ginger Roasted Pear Scones

I get strange urges to bake sometimes. A certain flavour or smell will stick in my head and linger until I bake it out. When I made the roasted pears last night, I suddenly wanted to make roasted pear scones. With ginger. So I rustled up some willpower, and saved 4 roasted pear halves, (which I only used 2 of incidentally) and these scones are the result. The original recipe came from a cookbook that is slowly becoming my favourite, Once Upon a Tart. You may be seeing alot from that book in the near future.


I changed it up a bit to accommodate the roasted pears, and I think the next time I would feel comfortable reducing the butter to 2 sticks instead of 2 ½, there seemed to be an alarming amount of butter swimming on the pan when I checked the scones at 15 minutes, but it had mysteriously vanished by the 18 minute mark. The scones are delicious though. The crystallized ginger complements the carmelly roasted pears, with the buttery scone marrying it all together. It was the perfect sidekick to my morning latte. I guess this urge was not so strange after all!!

Ginger and Roasted Pear Scones

1 ½ cups unbleached flour

1 ½ cups whole wheat flour

1/3 cup sugar

1 tsp baking powder

¼ tsp salt

2 ½ sticks unsalted butter (cut up into ¼ inch cubes)I will reduce it to 2 sticks next time)

2 eggs

½ cup cold buttermilk (see notes below)

½ cup diced roasted pears (see method here)

½ cup diced candied ginger

1 tsp grated fresh ginger

Egg wash: 1 large egg mixed with 1 tbsp milk or cream

2 tbsp (ish) raw sugar for sprinkling tops



Preheat oven to 400 deg F. Make sure your rack is in the middle of the oven. Line a large pan with parchment paper, set aside.

Chop 2 halves of a roasted pear, approx 1/2 cup, set aside

Chop candied ginger, set aside


Grate fresh Ginger, a piece about this big...



Gives you about a tsp when grated, I use my rasp to grate, but you can use the smallest holes of a box grater too. (yes, that is a cut on my finger, very crusty bread and a serrated knife...'nuff said??)

Set aside for now.


Whisk together dry ingredients

Cut in butter with pastry blender until it is looks like moist crumbs, do not overmix,


In a separate bowl, beat the eggs


Add the buttermilk, ginger, roasted pears and crystallized ginger.


Add to dry ingredients


Mix just until the flour is incorporated, no longer, or your scones will be tough.


Using your hands(lightly flour your hands to keep dough from sticking), scoop out a small handful and shape into a ball. Place on parchement lined pan. Continue with the rest of the dough, you should end up with about 12 balls.


Press balls down with your palm


So they are about this thick


Brush with egg wash

Top with a sprinkle of raw sugar (a scant tsp per scone)


Bake for 18 – 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Remove from oven and let rest on pan for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.


Serve warm, preferably with your morning latte!




Buttermilk notes:

Buttermilk is generally not replaceable with regular milk in recipes.  I usually keep powdered buttermilk in my cupboard, I get it at the bulk food store.  If you dont have any buttermilk or powder, you can use a tablespoon of white vinegar to one cup of regular milk. Stir and let it hang out for a few minutes, and then use the amount called for in your recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment